Thursday 9 April 2015

North Vancouver waterfront

I drew the construction site at the foot of Lonsdale during a recent meetup at Lonsdale Quay.  I like the busy-ness of construction sites, especially with the pier and the piles being driven in at seemingly higgledy-piggledy angles.  But I had a lurking dread as I drew that this was going to be another generic bluish-green-glass-covered condo building.  (I think they sell these buildings in pre-fab kits at the local Ikea.  Or maybe you can get 6 for the price of 5 at Cosco...).  So I was amazed when I looked up the development plan for the area and found a truly inspiring plan to turn this area into a real living breathing public space.  The plan is at  http://www.cnv.org/~/media/9DE9FF27F0E14C1B830C7F7AF29CD8F3.ashx  I love the ideas in it, as well as the very human writing style, and urban sketchers will like the ink-and-watercolour illustrations.  Now the only lurking dread is that this plan is just too good to actually happen, and we'll end up with an empty concrete plaza surrounded by a six-pack of bluish-green glass condos...

Looking in the other direction, one of the industrial parts of the harbour was a colourful scene on a sunny day.  The crayon factory (upper left) is a prominent feature on the North Vancouver waterfront.  They were making yellow crayons that day, which is one of their favourite colours.




No comments:

Post a Comment